A Sunny Day In Santa Fe

Thursday, July 24, 2008



I've been in Santa Fe for four days now and the feeling one gets being an artist in this mecca of artists is hard to describe to the outside world. I'm staying with fellow artist John Farnsworth and his wife Thea and through their insights am seeing this wonderful city through unique eyes.

John is a fantastic artist, photographer and purveyor of knowledge. He will be joining me on my workshop in the Dordogne Region of France next May. It will be exciting to share our skills with those who will be accompanying us (to learn more go to http://www.rousset-perigord.org).

Yesterday we drove to Albuquerque to see the Blumenschein Exhibit at the Albuquerque Museum. Ernest Blumenschein along with Bert Phillips were responsible for the start of the Taos Art Movement. I had only seen a few pieces of his works at various other museums but this exhibit was spectacular. If you visit this area soon, I'd put this on my "must see" list.

On our drive home in the dwindling evening light through the lush, yes lush, countryside north of the city and near the Rio Grande River, we spotted beautiful cloud formations over the Sandia Mountains unlike those I usually see in the Southern California desert where I live. They were turning the most awesome color I've ever seen. Like a cross between a peach and a watermelon. John told me that "Sandia" means watermelon and the mountains got that name because of the color they turn at sunset. I was not disappointed.