Spanish Market

Friday, July 25, 2008

Today is the start of Santa Fe's Spanish Market. An annual tradition, this event brings visitors and shoppers looking to savor or purchase a treasure reminiscent of the Spanish Colonial days in this area. Santos, retablos, bultos, colcha embroidery, tin work and hand carved furniture are all offered for the prudent collector. The entire town participates. Stores display Spanish items in their windows, musicians play typical Spanish music and of course the food. New Mexico grows some wonderful chiles used in the great dishes indigenous to the area. You will find the mix of Spanish and Native American cuisine a treat to the palate.


I only wish I wasn't leaving tomorrow. I enjoy experiencing new and exciting adventures and there is enough here in Santa Fe to keep one busy for a long while. I'll be back. I've had a great time thanks to my wonderful hosts John and Thea Farnsworth. If you're ever in Santa Fe, stop in the Farnsworth Gallery at 716 Canyon Road and say hi. Better yet, take home one of John's beautiful painings. You can see more of his work at http://www.johnfarnsworth.com/.