Inspiration

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

When designing a new painting I turn to nature for inspiration. While I was in Santa Fe last week, I looked out the window and spotted these unique flowers growing at the neighbor's house. I haven't identified them yet, but snapped several photos from a variety of angles. I love to find different compositions within an image and when I first saw these I didn't initially think they would work in a painting. But their delicate stamens in the light, contrasted against the dark background, spoke to me. I just had to record the dramatic image for the pure pleasure of the moment.


It wasn't until I was sharing these images with my photographer friend Randy Bernardi and his wife Pat that the possible painting presented itself. I had zoomed in to show them the stamens and Pat spotted the beauty in the close up detail. Thank you Pat. I'll do my best to make the painting live up to your expectations.
"Reach Up" © Kathy Dunham 2008