Lady in Red

Monday, July 28, 2008

Three years ago, as I was recovering from cancer, I turned to mosaics as a form of therapy. Three great friends; Patty, Linda, Mimi and myself met each Monday morning to learn how to break plates and glue them to any shape, form or pot we found at the local thrift store. We weren't very good at first, but as time went by and I recovered from my surgery, radiation and chemo treatments, we continued to meet, improve our skills and enjoyed each other's company. These three gals were the best therapy I could have had. And they didn't even mind looking at my bald head. In fact, it was Linda who took the clippers and cut my hair all off before I looked like a molting bear. Now that's a friend!!!


The hair has grown back, I'm back to painting, our mosaics are at a professional level now and I've just finished this female torso I call "Lady in Red". My cancer is gone and I'm feeling pretty good. But having friends who care; who you can share a good laugh with; who will take you to the doctor and remember what he told you when you were too stressed to remember; and be there whenever you ask, are treasures in life not all of us have. I'm very fortunate to be rich in friends. I wouldn't want it any other way!