All Lined Up

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Living in the desert and being an artist who paints flowers presents a unique challenge..... finding subject matter locally. Excluding what the gardeners think we should grow here, I'm always searching for unique and interesting flowers. We had a reasonable rain this past winter and spring, enough at the right time to bring the desert alive with flowers. When this happens it's wonderful. Blankets of flowers cover the desert floor and hills. That's when I jump in the car and hit the road. For this shot I visited Joshua Tree National Park, about an hour's drive. I almost missed these little beauties. They are no bigger than the nail on my pinky finger. I mean, they are tiny!. Normally they grow in a clump but this group were so nicely lined up I thought they were qued up for something.



"All Lined Up" © Kathy Dunham 2008