Desert Gold

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sunflowers evoke many emotions but the best one always brings a smile to my face. I'll never forget the first time I saw fields of sunflowers, all facing in the same direction. I was in Italy on my way to my first international workshop. I was so excited. I'd always wanted to see Italy and here I was, living it. But what surprised me was the direction the flower heads were facing. I had always believed, like many others, that they followed the sun. Not so. They face east. To greet the morning sun. So if you plant any seeds and you want to see the flowers, make sure you plan accordingly. This particular sunflower is the "Common Sunflower" that you see growing alongside country roads. Unlike the big headed seed sunflowers, these will face every direction.


"Desert Gold" © Kathy Dunham 2008