Spring in the Desert

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Wildflowers have been scarce this year but I decided to be adventuresome and see what I could find today. But it was a day filled with challenges.


I headed East to check out the Chuckwalla Wilderness area about 60 miles from here. After driving about 6 miles on a gravel road I encountered a flat tire. Thank goodness I had a friend with me who took charge and changed it for me. That was after several cars were nice enough to stop and ask if we were OK. Just before we finished an elderly gentleman stopped on his way out from his mining claim. He said he'd lead the way to make sure we were OK. Well, wouldn't you know it, he got a flat before we reached the paved road. So, one good turn deserved another. So far, flats 2 - flowers 0.


Then we decided to head down to Borrego Springs State Park to see if there were any flowers left. Half way there we encountered severe winds but decided to continue. After a couple of stops on the roadside and short hikes we encountered seven different species of flowers. Even in the wind I was able to get some pretty great shots including this beavertail cactus blossom.


"Spring in the Desert" © Kathy Dunham 2009